Sunday, February 10, 2008

American Idol: Atlanta & etc.

So, the Atlanta auditions (broadcast on Monday) brought over 12,000 Idol hopefuls and only 19 made it through to Hollywood.... Here are some of the highlights:

*Asia'h--first of all, is that really a name? Her dad recently passed away so she has the sob story, but does she have the voice? She sounds a little like Monica (of Brandy & Monica fame).
*Brooke--the blonde pageant girl. Too many runs, and, as Simon said, "Possibly the most annoying person I have ever seen in my life."
*Alexandra Lushington--my favorite from Atlanta. "My Funny Valentine" was a GREAT song choice, and it's all about the song choice sometimes. Fierce.
*Amanda--the motorcycle nurse chick. Reminds me of Nikki McKibbon but with a better voice?
*Josiah--the guy who lives in his car. He's cute but needs a few years to mature before he'll be ready to be a real singer.

Also amazing was The Paula Montage, a few minutes of clips of our favorite judge being a complete mess. I love her!

And then Tuesday's show was "The Best of the Rest." Basically people and stories they didn't have time for during the other auditon shows...

*The Twins--I hate them. The only good thing about them is their Polo shirts.
*Cardin--she sang "One Night Only." She's a poor man's version of Katharine McPhee.
*JoAnne--one of my favorites so far this season! A fierce, pingy, high belter. Loves it.
*Chikeze Eze--yes, that's his real name apparently. He's amazing and goes off.
*Danny--the fierce young gay who sings "Proud Mary." He would be amazing in The Singing Hoosiers, my choral alma mater.

Another great moment was when Ryan did a little singing of his own, even thought his outfit was pretty awful...


Final Thought: If you missed it live (as I did), check out Jordin Sparks singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. Pretty good!

No comments: