Friday, January 18, 2008

Dance War Episode 2

I have so many notes about the second episode of Dance War and I'm pretty excited to see how the season unfolds.  To be honest, I still don't really understand the premise, but oh well.  Here's what I think.

It's absolutely great that the show opens up with a big musical number.  "Straight out the gates" is what that's called, I believe.  And the opener is a fierce medley so it's even better.

The way the show is set up is like this: the guys all perform together then are broken into two groups in which they get some solo time.  Then, the girls do the same.  Finally, Bruno and Carrie Ann pick who they want on their respective teams "schoolyard style."  I like it.  Here are my notes about each of the performers:

Zach is the obvious crowd-favorite, and for good reason: he's a solid dancer and a solid singer.  He's got great looks, a hot body, a sparkle in his eyes, and a true knack for performing.

Maxx, though cute, needs to get rid of that sick rat-tail.  He's weak vocally and while he can dance well, it just doesn't do it for me.

Qis: "Dance War is my Superbowl."  That's  little dramatic.  He has an interesting voice; my jury is still out on him.

Chris is totally cute.  He's got a nice voice, but not as big as some of the other guys.

Bradley, whose brother is on Broadway (apparently), is a very intense dancer.  His singing skills leave a little something to be desired.

Tony sings way too hard.  He's just not that good of a singer I don't think.

Phillip has a nice voice.  He's obviously using his body to get votes, and that's just fine with me.  He's ripped.

Kelsey has a cute voice.  She's hot.  As Carrie Ann says, she's consistent, which is important in a live performance show.

Corina definitely loves being the center of attention.  She's sexy and her voice is dece.

Alysa, who didn't plan on auditioning for the show, thinks she is some fierce singer.  She's not.  Nor is she a dancer.  

Charity is cute, but she's gets into trouble doing the whole dancing and singing at the same time thing.

Mariel is my favorite singer of the girls; she's got that fierce belt and great runs.  Loves it.

Lacey thinks she is a diva and the best singer on the show, but she doesn't really do it for me.  She's an OK dancer.

Elizabeth might be a good singer--she's got that high, pingy belt--but I just don't see that sparkle which is pertinent to being a performer.

In general, the girls' numbers didn't impress me as much.  I mean, I think that the girls are going to have to work harder to win my heart as well as the hearts of the voters...  There are so many talented female performers over, so people aren't as likely to be "wowed" by them.  The guys, on the other hand, have it easier--a guy who can sing and dance and look hot has a free pass to fame.

By the end of the show, the teams have been decided.  Next week they'll compete and...  Well, something will happen, I'm not sure what.  Maybe Wikipedia can help explain it.  If you want to check out the bios of the cast members, click here (I think this was in an earlier post, too).

No comments: