Friday, January 11, 2008

Dance War Premier!

I just finished watching the premier of Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann online, and I think I'm going to get really into the show.  It's so fierce!  I took all kinds of notes about it, so here's some of my thoughts...

The whole initial audition process is pretty unique: the people are put into groups of 15 and get a minute or two to freestyle to some music.  If they make it past that round, they dance and sing alone for the judges.  All of this is done in front of a large audience, which makes it quite different from shows like American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance?  Anyhow, after the initial auditions, they take 30 people to Hollywood and, after teaching them a routine and doing some coaching, 14 are selected to move on to the finals.

I guess my main question about the show is this: what's the point?  Who is going to actually win?  I mean, I understand that they're making two teams and Carrie Ann and Bruno are going to be the team captains, but what does the winning team get?  And they keep talking about how it's easier to teach a dancer to sing than teach a singer to dance...  I don't know if I agree with that or not.  I mean, I am a singer myself and I kind of learned how to dance, and I know plenty of dancers that could NEVER be taught how to sing.  Maybe that's just because of my background as a singer, but I don't know.  Furthermore, what do Carrie Ann and/or Bruno know about singers?  I understand that they are choreographers or whatever (everyone's a dancer these days...), but after hearing some of their comments, I can tell that they know jack shit about singing.

I'm so happy that Drew Lachey is the host of Dance War; he did such a great job filling in for Samantha on Dancing with the Stars.  Drew is a great B-list celebrity and he's really come a long way since his days in 98 Degrees!

My favorite singer/dancer is obviously Zack; he's gorgeous, has a beautiful voice, and definitely knows how to dance.  I love him and want him to be my boyfriend.

Check out the other performers' bios here, and let me know what you think about this show!

Final Thought/UPDATE: It has just come to my attention that Zach is Julianne Hough's ex-fiancee!  You know, Julianne from DWTS.  The one who I blogged about when rumors were circulating that she and Helio Castroneves were dating...  Interesting...  The reality TV world grows ever smaller!

No comments: