Thursday, May 8, 2008

American Idol Final Four!

I've been on a hiatus.  It's called working too much, and it's not fun at all.  In fact, I haven't watched Idol on actual TV in like six weeks!  Ugh.  Anyhow, thank GOD for YouTube so I can watch the clips from Tuesday, provide some thoughts, and then announce the results!

The theme on Tuesday night was "Songs from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame."  Quite a mouthful, no?  Anyhow, here's the show list with some commentary.

1. David Cook: "Hungry Like The Wolf," Duran Duran
A great song choice for him!  It is in his range, allows him to be a rockstar, and it's one of those catchy songs that even if you don't know it that well, it sticks with you.  I could use a little more energy...

2. Syesya: "Proud Mary," Tina Turner
I was wondering when she would sing this song...  Her performance was one of the most choreographed in Idol history and I totally dig it.  The last few moments are a little out of control (and not in a good way), but overall a great performance.

3. Jason: "I Shot The Sheriff," Bob Marley
He's so awkward on stage; something about Jason just doesn't click for me.  I mean, the song is totally perfect for him but he just doesn't embody an Idol to me.  He should get a gig ligned up at my roommate's bar, The Wild Hare.

4. David Archuleta: "Stand By Me," Ben E. King
Again, an awesome song choice.  David's really stepping it up and taking himself seriously!  The kid can blow!  He's amazing.  I love the falsetto towards the end of his performance--it shows vocal maturity and musical understanding beyond his years.  Ugh he's amazing.

5. David Cook: "Baba O'Riley," The Who
Fierce!  Amazing!  David makes this iconic pop song his own, pulling out some great notes and total control the entire time.  He's great, and this is by far one of his best performances.  

6. Syesha: "A Change Is Gonna Come," Sam Cooke
She looks totally gorgeous and picked a song that most people probably don't know and totally does it justice.  This is truly an American Idol-worthy performance, full of big notes, fierce emotion, and wonderful stage presence.  

7. Jason: "Mr. Tambourine Man," Bob Dylan
He's so cheesy in his pre-song interview.  The performance itself is a little dry, especially when he forgets half of the words.  I mean, here's the thing (and I've said it before): he's a good singer and definitely has talent, but he's just not right for this show.

8. David Archuleta: "Love Me Tender," Elvis Presley
Ugh, I'll love him tender or however he wants to be loved.  His voice is so sincere and he delivers a totally updated version of this classic Elvis ballad.  My only criticism is that it was way too short.  He's so good.

Wednesday night's results show included a performance from Bo Bice, one of my favorite runners-up from years past.  The bottom two: Jason Castro and Syesya Mercado.  To find out who was eliminated, click here.  It was time for him to go (oops).

No comments: